Family Events Calendar

Friday, May 16, 2008

Going Green

Okay family you may think I'm crazy but I am going to try switching to cloth diapers. On Mother's Day I went to ClynnL and Vana Young's house and all their kids were there it was really good to see Adam, Diana and Darren Stutz, Nate and Rachel, Devon and everyone's kids and they are all doing so good and Aaron just graduated from Medical School yesterday so he is Doctor Young and he will be doing his residency in Rochester. Anyway Diana has three cutest kids Sadie who looks just like her (it's really kind of eerie how exactly alike they look) Lily and Sophie. With her youngest she just switched to cloth diapers 4 months ago her baby is only 7 months old. And this is some of what she told me and other things I have read since talking to her.
Some of the pro's to cloth diapering:
a $300 investment (diaper shells, diaper inserts, flannel wipes, water sprayer, wet bags to hold the diapers, a bum lotion potion) to use diapers for several children not just one will save you $2,000 per child. An average child uses between 15oo and 2500 dollars worth of diapers and wipes during the three years they use them. All of that could go towards a college fund or mission fund. 
One child will add 1 ton of diapers to the land fill during their diapering years. 
They have new cloth diapers that are so easy to use it is just like using a disposable one you just have two more loads of laundry to do during the week (okay that could be a con). It is so much easier to do cloth diapers now than it was when Mom did them. Kudos to you Mom, I just can't dunk the diapers that is why I like the idea of spraying them off. They have a sprayer you connect to the back of your toilet so you can just spray the poop (or poo, whichever you prefer) off into the toilet.
Anyway, according to Diana who has done diapers both ways it really doesn't take that much more time to do cloth diapers than disposable ones. 
I read that a lot of women are going to cloth diapers I guess in some countries it really is the thing to do, it's very trendy. In Hawaii they are filling the land fills so quickly there is one island that has one landfill and it will be filled by the end of next year so a lot of women are switching so the landfill doesn't fill up so fast. I don't know what the difference will be but there you have it. It takes 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose.
I have also heard of cars that run on natural gas which is .60 cents a gallon and you get a hook up to use the natural gas that runs to your house already. If anyone knows more about that let me know what you have heard. It sounds interesting to me. 
Okay that is what I have been thinking about. 
I am so excited to hear your opinions on the subject. Good and bad :)
This will be interesting.  I will let you know when I actually switch and give you the details to how it is going. Needless to say Jerome is skeptical because sometimes I forget to wash my own clothes in time for when I need them and then I do a panic wash. I am hoping this will force me to get into a good laundry schedule so that never happens again. 
I'm also going to the zoo today so hopefully I can add pictures to my next post.
Wow this post is long sorry about that.

3 comments:

Dan Jones said...

Laura,
Very interesting! I doubt I will ever use cloth diapers. All older generations love to tell how horrible cloth diapers were...good luck!
But, maybe I will get the spray hose for the toilet...we could save money on toilet paper!

Leesa Marie Jones said...

Wow, good luck on that Laura! You are braver than I. I will try other ways to go green. I'm not touching the cloth diaper idea! As for Dan's comment, we are not getting a spray hose to replace toilet paper!
Leesa

Ryan Family said...

I am so glad I'm not using any type of diapers!!!